- Are you considering pursuing a career in music as a performer or teacher?
- Are you curious about what awaits you in college music programs?
- Are you curious about what awaits you as a music major — music theory and history, ensembles and more
- Are you a serious musician looking to position yourself for success in your applications and auditions
Welcome to The Instrumental Academy at Inspiration Point
Opera in the Ozarks at Inspiration Point, a leader in summer music education since 1950, announces the first INSTRUMENTAL ACADEMY AT INSPIRATION POINT offered as a virtual offering for the inaugural year of 2021.
The IAIP is dedicated to preparing advanced high school instrumentalists for pursuing an undergraduate degree in musical performance or education. Our young professional instructors , members of the Opera in the Ozarks Orchestra, are active as teachers and performers throughout the USA. Their experience in the professional world will enrich Academy students with their extensive knowledge, experience and perspective.
A select number of high school musicians who aspire to a career in performance or teaching will meet in two online sessions daily, Tuesday through Friday for three weeks, June 1-19. A final, celebratory concert will be presented on Saturday, June 20 for Academy students, their teachers, parents and family.
- Academy activities will run 9:30 to 5:00 — with an extended lunch, rest (and practice!) break from noon until 2:30.
- Private instruction Academy students will receive one 45-minute private lesson each week. They will also work with their instructors in repertoire/techniques sessions and master classes each week.
- Students will interact with and observe faculty chamber ensembles as they rehearse masterpieces of the string, wind or brass repertoire, learning to explore scores
- Students will have daily musicianship skills, music theory or history classes — similar to what will be found in college curriculums
- A weekly workshop on audio and video recording techniques and production basics will prepare you for recording successful audition selections
- Students will be introduced to the dynamic art of opera — a dynamic confluence of music, drama and visual art. The focus will be on Jules Massenet ’s scintillating adaptation of the Cinderella tale, CENDRILLON .
- Students and their families will be invited to join the OIO company for:
- a streamed dress rehearsal of CENDRILLON later in June
- The OIO Orchestra’s Chamber Music Concert on Tuesday, July 21
Although it is still under development, students should plan for a busy and varied weekly schedule. Final schedule details coming soon.
Academy instructors are thirteen of the energetic members of the Opera in the Ozarks’ Orchestra. They are young professional performers and teachers from across the nation, who are masters of their craft and eager to share their knowledge with and mentor young musicians who will follow in their footsteps.
An online application process will begin in early March and include:
- Completing the online application form
- Asking your high school director and private instructor to submit a brief letter of recommendation through a separate online form
- Submit a recording of two contrasting selections that show your level of accomplishment and abilities. You will upload these through a private YouTube link or file upload
- Payment of a $25 application audition fee, payable by check or credit card
The cost of the three week Academy is $375.
Email your questions to IA@IP directors: firstname.lastname@example.org