Artist Audition Information
Auditions for the 2022 Season of Così fan tutte, La rondine, a third production TBA and Studio Artist show TBA will be conducted exclusively by application and video submission. Complete information will be posted by October 15.
Audition procedures will change for 2022. A sample of previous years’ process is below.
- Download and complete the OIO Artist application.
- If applying for aid, complete the Scholarship application 2021.
- Attach a one-page résumé listing education, opera/musical theater experience. Include roles and opera scenes performed and other related skills and experience (instrumental, dance, theater, etc.)
- Attach a headshot — black & white or color
- Pay the $25 nonrefundable application fee by check, money order, debit or credit card. Link to CC/Debit Card payment form. If paying by credit card, note this on the application. Fees for applications received after roles have been cast will be refunded.
- Send to: Artist Auditions, Opera in the Ozarks 7260 N. San Maria Place, Tucson, AZ 85704-1949
Read the posted materials and application forms carefully. NOTE: due to the number of applicants we do not accept emailed materials; please print and send forms, résumés and headshots. Questions? Email Yvonne at email@example.com.
Our video audition procedures align with those recommended by Opera America.
Download here: Opera America remote audition guidelines 6-2020
What to present:
- Prepare three selections, at least one in Italian and English. Preferably one in French if seeking to be cast in Cendrillon.
- One selection may be an art song or musical theater piece.
Recording your video auditon:
- Accompaniment with piano or using a piano track is required.
- If needed for safe-distancing, wearing a mask is acceptable but arranging to record in a large space allowing you to sing without one would be better.
- Any location or background is acceptable.
- If possible, focus your camera so that we see you head to foot. Make sure that there is good lighting so we can see your facial expression without shadows, if possible.
- At the beginning of your recording state your name once and what you will sing before each selection.
- Record as one continuous take. Sing your first two arias without a break (water is OK). Before the third selection you may take a short break but continue recording. Please, no splicing or editing.
- Do not lip-synch or manipulate the audio recording (adding reverb, splicing, etc.).
- Above all, make sure that the sound quality is as good as possible.
- Upload your selections to YouTube and make sure that the privacy settings will allow them to be viewed.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line: Last Name, First Name, voice type, program YouTube audition.
- In the body of the email, insert a functioning link to your video. List the three individual selections with titles.
- Your audition will not be viewed until we have received a complete application packet and you have paid the application fee.
The conditions under which you are auditioning can be difficult; we understand these challenges. Know that at least two of the submitted videos will be reviewed in their entirety by the Artistic Director who will focus on the quality of your voice, artistry and presentation not on the quality of the recording.
Your Live Audition
Sorry, not this year!