Our 2024 season:
Verdi: La traviata Ward: The Crucible
Giannini: Beauty and the Beast & Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges
Studio Artist production: Little Red's Most Unusual Day
Final auditions for priority casting consideration conclude in January:
1/26 Norman -- 1/27 Dallas -- 1/28 Houston -- 2/3 Tucson
RECORDED audition deadline: 1/28
Late applications will be considered after these dates
Vocal artist applications open on November 1. Click here for the OIO 2024 Vocal Artist Application and you will be taken to YAP Tracker.com to complete it. You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to use the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the YAP Tracker website for details). The final application/video audition deadline is January 28, 2024.
- All applicants will complete the online form and upload:
- a one-page résumé
- a headshot (black and white or color)
- If applying for financial aid, download the application here OIO Scholarship application 2024. Complete fully and upload to your application.
- If applying for an online audition
- Pay the nonrefundable application/audition fee by credit or debit card securely within YapTracker: $25 for virtual video auditions.
- Upload three video selections that you certify have been recorded since July 2023 (see instructions and guidelines below)
- Submit a short, informal video (1-2 minutes, recorded on your cell phone is OK) in which you share:
- 1) how you most need and want to grow as an aspiring artist, and
- 2) how you believe being a member of the 2024 OIO company and that experience would further those goals.
- Plan but don’t script it. Have fun, we want to get sense of your personality and what you would bring to the company.
- If applying for a live audition:
- Pay the nonrefundable application/audition fee by credit or debit card securely within YapTracker: $40 for live auditions ($25 application plus $15 audition fee; an accompanist will be provided).
- You may upload one selection as a prelude to your live audition
- Once your application is accepted, your audition will be scheduled.
YOUR VIDEO AUDITION
Our video audition procedures align with those recommended by Opera America. Download here: Opera America remote audition guidelines 6-2020. Watch this: A short video about filming and recording your audition. The final, priority deadline for submitting a video audition is January 28, 2024.
Recording your video audition:
- Prepare three selections, at least one in Italian and one in English. One selection may be an art song or musical theater piece.
- Accompaniment of a live pianist is best, using a piano track is acceptable.
- You must submit selections recorded since July 2023.
- If absolutely needed for safety, singing with a mask is acceptable. It would be much better to record in a large space allowing you to sing without a mask but possibly your accompanist masked.
- Any location or background is acceptable, a large room is best.
- If possible, focus your camera so that we see you head to foot. Make sure that there is good lighting so we can see your facial expression without shadows.
- At the beginning of your recording state your name once and what you will sing before each selection.
- Do not lip-sync or manipulate the audio recording (adding reverb, splicing, etc.).
- Above all, before uploading to YAP Tracker make sure that the video and sound qualities are as good as possible.
During the continuing challenges of the post-pandemic, the conditions under which you are auditioning might be difficult; we understand these challenges. Know that at least two of the submitted videos will be reviewed in their entirety by the Artistic Director who will focus on the qualities of your voice, artistry and presentation not on the technical quality of the recording.
YOUR LIVE AUDITION
FOR YOUR LIVE AUDITION:
- Prepare three selections: one in Italian, one in English and another in a language of your choice.
- One selection may be an art song, oratorio or musical theater selection.
- An experienced accompanist will be provided.
- Please bring a résumé and repertoire list — no headshot needed-save your money.